Instant gravy or Mama's homemade gravy is a tempting but surefire way to add syns to an otherwise slimming world friendly meal. I've listed three handy syn free gravy options which will give you something to jazz up your Sunday Roast!
1. Rich onion Gravy
This recipe takes a little bit of patience, as you wait for the sauce to reduce. However, this is what gives it such a lovely consistency. Delicious with steak!
2 medium red onions, sliced into rings
1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
1 Beef stockpot
1/2 pint boiling water
- Spray a pan with frylight and fry the onions until softened
- Add the balsamic vinegar and stir
- Add the rich beef stockpot and boiling water and stir
- Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat slightly
- Cook for 15-20 mins or until the sauce has reached desired consistency.
2. Mushy Pea Gravy
This one of slimming worlds weird and wonderful recipes, you think it will taste and look funny but actually, is a perfect consistency and full of flavour. Nice with chicken dishes.
Tin of mushy peas
1/2 tin chopped tomatoes
2 oxo cubes
Salt and Pepper
Tsp worcester sauce (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together and cook on a medium heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Liquidise until you reach the desired consistency.
3. Oxo and Smash Gravy
The oxo cubes add a burst of flavour, while the smash adds thickness and can be adjusted to taste. Perfect for beef dishes!
2 beef oxo cubes
1 cup boiling water
3-4 tbsp smash instant potato mash
- Add the boiling water to the oxo cubes and stir well.
- Slowly add the smash and stir until you reach desired consistency.
Which is your favourite? Let me know in the comments :)